Ceremonies By Cynthia

«« Home «« Ideas «« Name Change After Marriage

Ceremonies by CynthiaTraditionally, most women once married use their husband’s surname. But do you have to change your name?

Well… no you don’t. A lot of newlyweds choose not to change their surname at all after marriage. If that’s what you choose to do, there is no need to formally notify anyone that you are married.

However if you do want to use your husband’s surname you can start changing your name as soon as you have your official marriage certificate.

And while there is no official “time limit” as such to change your name, it is best to do this as soon as you can to avoid any problems by delaying your name change for too long.

Can You Use Both Surnames?

There may be certain circumstances where you might chose to keep your maiden name – eg for professional reasons/at work etc – but use your married name for most other purposes.

While it is possible to have one legal name, and be known by another one… just be aware that this could cause possible problems later on whenever you may need to prove your identity.

What “Proof” Do You Need to Provide to Change Your Name?

Well the certificate you receive at your wedding ceremony is not official proof… it is a commemorative certificate only. After your wedding, you need to make a separate application to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in your state to get the official document needed to change your name.

Where Do You Need To Change Your Name?

Surprisingly, there are LOTS of places who you need to notify about your name change

These include:

  • Your local state Roads Authority for Drivers Licence and Vehicle Registration
  • The ATO for taxation purposes
  • Your Electoral Enrolment needs to be changed
  • Your Passport
  • Your Medicare / Centrelink Cards
  • Bank Accounts
  • Superannuation
  • Medical Records
  • Insurance Policies
  • Club Memberships
  • etc…

Important Honeymoon Tip!!!

If you are travelling overseas for your honeymoon… make sure your tickets are booked in the same name which appears on your passport! You won’t be allowed to leave the country if the names are different!